Hartsdale is a census-designated village in the municipality of Greenburgh in New York. The vibrant community features stunning homes and amazing sceneries. Several notable personalities like soprano Arleen Auger, professional baseball player Mike “SuperJew” Epstein, and architect Charles Wellford Leavitt have their beautiful homes in the area.
A deck can boost the value and the beauty of your home to that of those celebrities. If you want to build one, you may do it yourself or hire the services of professional deck builders in Hartsdale, NY. This article discusses several essential things to consider when constructing your deck.
Materials for Building a Deck
There are several building materials you can choose for your deck. The type of material you select plays a vital role in the longevity and aesthetics of your deck. Here are some recommended decking materials you may consider:
- Softwoods like red cedar and redwood – If you want the natural beauty and appeal of wood, use these western softwoods for your deck. These materials are resistant against insects, decay, and rot due to their tannin and oil content.
- Pressure-treated (PT) lumber – One of the most economical materials for decking is PT lumber. Manufacturers treat this material with chemicals to repel wood-boring bugs, fungus, and rot. Some of the advantages of PT lumber include affordability, smooth cutting, and availability.
- Composites – This material contains pure plastics or a mixture of recycled plastics and wood fibers. It is highly resistant to decay and staining. It is also virtually maintenance-free and can last a lifetime.
- Aluminum – If you have a long-lasting material, use powder-coated aluminum. Among its features are recyclability and resistance to fire, mold, and extreme weather conditions. It also has excellent heat-dissipation capability.
- Tropical hardwoods like Philippine mahogany, ipe, and tigerwood – Hardwoods are beautiful and long-lasting material for decking. They add certain beauty and elegance to your home. For optimum results, allow the lumber to weather for 1-3 months before finishing.
Useful Deck Building Tips from Veteran Deck Builders
There are multiple things to think about when building your deck to ensure its durability. Here are some tips from veteran deck builders in Hartsdale NY you may consider:
- Maintain sufficient gaps between your deck boards to avoid the buildup of debris and ensure proper drainage.
- Make sure to cover your joists when constructing your deck frame. A good strategy is to put a drip edge on top of your joists before laying down your decking. It will avoid water accumulation during rainy days. You may opt to use an elastomeric membrane or a thin sheet of metal as cover.
- Consider using under-mounted deck fasteners to give your boards a clean look and avoid water damage on your screw holes. To maintain the strength of your construction, avoid driving the screws too deep.
- Leave your screws flush with the top surface of your board to facilitate the dripping of water during the rainy season. Sinking your screws too deep can create small water reservoirs that can lead to deck deterioration in the long term.
- Construct your base with double joists. Leave a gap between them to avoid water stagnation.
- Maintain at least a 2% slope to facilitate the draining of water or other liquids. Use your base structure to establish the slope.
A beautiful deck increases the value of your Hartsdale home. Make sure you know how to construct one if you decide to do it yourself. If you have doubts, hiring the services of veteran deck builders is best.